Skip to main content

Scholastic Performance Requirements

Class Attendance

Although Baruch College is officially characterized as a “non-attendance taking institution,” our faculty are allowed to take attendance and must do so during the “Verification of Enrollment” period at the beginning of each semester. All students are encouraged to attend every session of their courses to support their learning and academic success; some faculty may factor “participation” into a course grade. A grade of WN will be assigned to students who do not attend or otherwise participate in any academically related activity, such as submitting an assignment, by the end of the enrollment verification period. A grade of WU will be assigned to undergraduate students who attended a minimum of one class, stopped attending, did not officially withdraw, and did not take the final examination, hand in a final paper, or complete a significant end-of semester assignment, such as a presentation.  

Policy on Religious Holidays

No person shall be expelled from or be refused admission as a student at Baruch College for the reason of inability to attend classes because of religious beliefs or to participate in any examination, study, or work requirements on a particular day or days.

Any Baruch student who is unable, because of religious beliefs, to attend classes on a particular day or days shall, because of such absence on the particular day or days, be excused from any examination or any study or work requirements.

It shall be the responsibility of the faculty and of the administrative officials of the College to make available to all students who are absent from school because of religious beliefs an equivalent opportunity to make up any examination, study, or work requirements that they may have missed because of such absence on any particular day or days. No fees of any kind shall be charged by the institution for making available to these students such equivalent opportunity.

If classes, examinations, study, or work requirements are held on Friday after 4:00 pm or on Saturday, similar or makeup classes, examinations, study, or work requirements shall be made available on other days, where it is possible and practicable to do so. No special fees shall be charged to students for these classes, examinations, study, or work requirements held on other days.

In effectuating the provisions of this section, it shall be the duty of the faculty and of the administrative officials of the College to exercise the fullest measure of good faith. No adverse or prejudicial effects shall result to any students because of availing themselves of the provisions of this section.

Students who are aggrieved by the alleged failure of any faculty or administrative officials to comply in good faith with the provisions of this section shall be entitled to maintain an action or proceeding in the Supreme Court of New York County for the enforcement of their rights under this section.

Maintaining an Acceptable Grade Point Average

The cumulative grade point average (GPA) is the numerical equivalent of a letter grade (A, B, C, etc.). In order to meet the College’s scholarship requirements, a student must maintain a minimum cumulative grade point average of 2.00. The GPA is also used to determine scholarship eligibility. It is the student’s responsibility to keep track of their GPA. Baruch students may verify their grades and GPA by accessing their transcript through CUNYfirst self service. 

Full-time Undergraduate Student in Good Standing

§  A full-time student is considered to be in good standing and making adequate progress toward their undergraduate degree if they enroll in a minimum of 12 credits per semester and maintain a cumulative minimum GPA of 2.0. It is recommended that students take at least 15 credits per semester of degree applicable courses to remain on track to graduate within four years.

Computing the Grade Point Average

It should be noted that there are different GPA requirements to be eligible for financial aid programs (state and federal) and retention within the College. See the financial aid section of this bulletin or the Office of Financial Aid Services for the minimum standards to be eligible for financial aid awards.

Grade point averages are computed by multiplying the credits attempted by the grade point equivalent (GPE). The grade point average is then computed by dividing the total grade points (GPs) by the total credits attempted. Below is an example of computing a GPA on a five-course, 16-credit semester program load.






MTH 2003







CHM 2003







HIS 1001







COM 1010







ENG 2100








Total Credits: 16.0

Total GP: 31.0

Total Grade Points



1.9 Grade Point Average (GPA)

Total Credits


Changing a Grade/Extra Credit 

No change of final grade for a completed course will be made without the approval of the instructor’s dean. Deans will consider the grade change upon the receipt of the instructor's written explanation. Extra work may not be submitted for a higher grade. Application for change of grade may be made at any time within one (1) year from the end of the semester in which the course was taken except when it is the student’s graduating semester. Grades cannot be changed once a student’s degree has been conferred.

Your GPA and Credits Earned at Another College

Approved CUNY ePermit course(s) are calculated in the cumulative credits earned and GPA; for institutions outside of CUNY, only courses with a grade of C or better are transferred for credit, are not calculated in the GPA, and do not count toward residency.

Grades received for work completed at another college are used to determine eligibility to the Zicklin School of Business; these grades are calculated according to Baruch’s Academic Policies.

Academic Probation

First-semester freshmen and first-semester transfer degree-seeking students who fail to meet the minimum acceptable GPA will be assigned an academic standing of ‘Eligible to Continue.’ Students should view this classification as an alert to work diligently to improve their academic performance. Improvements will prevent academic sanctions. The student is urged to utilize the resources offered by the College, including the Office for Undergraduate Advisement and Orientation and the Student Academic Consulting Center (SACC). The services of these offices include mapping out courses, tutoring, workshops, and career advice.

 Students will be placed on academic probation at the end of the fall/spring semester if their cumulative GPA falls below the minimum requirement (2.00). While on academic probation, a student may take a full academic load. Failure to maintain a minimum GPA of 'C' (2.00) during the subsequent semester will result in academic dismissal.

 The following are restrictions for students on academic probation: 

  • Grades, in any course, of INC, PEN, FIN, and F that have not been removed from the cumulative GPA by the repetition of the course with a grade of C or better.

  • Enrollment in subsequent terms until all current semester grades are posted and reviewed by the Office of the Registrar

  • Holding office in student government or on publications, sitting on College committees, or engaging in varsity sports (club activities should also be limited)

Failure to meet grade point average requirements when on academic probation will result in automatic dismissal at the end of the semester. Students who are dismissed must remain separated from the College for a minimum period of one semester. The deadline for submitting appeals to the appropriate committee on academic standing for reinstatement for the fall semester is April 1; for the spring semester, November 1. Students must also file a reentry application with the Office of the Registrar.

Rate-of-Progress Probation and Dismissal Policies

The following courses are required for any bachelor’s degree: ENG 2100, ENG 2150, and minimally, a 2000-level mathematics course (and/or an H or T version of these courses). Failure to complete one or more of these courses after three registrations will result in dismissal from the College. Students who take, but do not pass, one of the aforementioned courses for the second time will be placed on rate-of-progress probation and should see an academic advisor as soon as possible. Failure to complete the course(s) in question by the end of the third attempt will result in dismissal. While on rate-of-progress probation, a student will be restricted to no more than four courses (13 equated credits) each semester.

Students who have failed an ESL course once will be placed on probation for the following semester. While on probation, a student will be restricted to no more than four courses (13 equated credits) each semester, including the ESL course. Students who fail to pass the ESL course after two attempts will be dismissed from the College. Students who have been dismissed from the College for failure to pass an ESL course after two attempts will be encouraged to register at a CUNY community college to complete their ESL program. Students who are dismissed for their failure to pass their ESL course may return to Baruch College. They must present a transcript showing that they have met CUNY proficiency requirements and that they are eligible for credit-bearing courses. 

Registration for the subsequent semester after the third attempt will be withheld. Students who are dismissed may not continue at Baruch College.

Repeating Courses 

Undergraduate students may replace a maximum of 16 credits of failing grades if the same courses are repeated with a minimum grade of C. It will not retroactively affect the pre-existing academic status. The cumulative GPA will be recomputed to reflect only the passing grade.  The following points should be noted:

  • A maximum of 16 credits of failing grades (F, FIN, WU) may be excluded from the calculation of the cumulative GPA during an undergraduate’s enrollment in CUNY. Whether students remain at a single college or transfer from one CUNY college to another, no more than 16 credits of failing grades can be replaced in the calculation of the cumulative GPA. Should the 16-credit limit be reached at a college other than Baruch, a student will not be permitted to replace failing credits at Baruch.

  • The course(s) used to replace failing grades must have been taken in the fall 1990 semester or later.

  • If a course for which a student wants the failing grade to be replaced by a grade of C or better was taken prior to September 1, 1984, the student must receive the approval of the appropriate committee on academic standing.

  • For a grade of C or better to replace a grade of F in the calculation of the cumulative GPA, the failing grade cannot have been received at another college. The repetition of the course must take place at Baruch; it may not be taken on permit to another institution.

  • A failing grade may not be partially replaced. If a student has replaced 14 credits of failing grades and subsequently receives a grade of C or better in another 3-credit course previously failed, the failing grade cannot be replaced.

  • If a student has received more than one failing grade for the same course and subsequently earns a grade of C or better in the course, the failing grades will be excluded from the calculation of the GPA, subject to the 16-credit limit.

  • If a student fails a course that was taken on a pass/fail basis and subsequently retakes the course, a grade of C or better must be earned in order for the failing grade to be replaced.

  • If the course number or title of a course was changed in the period between the receipt of the failing grade and the repetition of the course but the content remained the same, the failing grade will be replaced if a grade of C or better was received in the repeated course.

  • If the content of the course was changed in the period between the receipt of the failing grade and the repetition of the course, or when a student has been allowed to substitute one course for another, the declaration of course equivalency for the purpose of deleting the failing grade from the calculation of the cumulative GPA will be at the discretion of the appropriate committee on academic standing.

  • The cumulative GPA calculated on the basis of this policy is to be used for purposes of retention and graduation from the College and admission to and continuance in a major or specialization. It will not be used to calculate the Dean’s List or departmental honors for graduation.

  • Students may not repeat courses for which credit has already been earned, either at Baruch College or in transfer from another college. Students who register for a course where credit has previously been earned will be dropped from the course or have credit removed from the subsequent attempt. It is the policy of the College’s three schools that students will be allowed to register no more than three times for any single course.

  • Students may apply the repeat policy interchangeably between honors and non-honors sections of the same course. The request may be submitted to the Office of the Registrar.

Any student who does not want a repeated course to replace a previously recorded failing grade should notify the Office of the Registrar so that the replacement does not take place. This request may be made at any time after the latest enrollment, but before the latest grade is recorded.  Note: Any failing grade(s) already replaced cannot be reversed.


Courses dropped during the refund period, do not appear on the student’s transcript. New students who drop all their courses (withdraw from the College) during the refund period of the semester must apply again for admission prior to future registrations--consult the Office of Undergraduate Admissions. Other students who withdraw from the College during the refund period must apply for reentry with the Office of the Registrar.

 Students may withdraw from a course(s) up until the last day of classes—see Academic Calendar for exact dates. After the refund period, they will receive W grades.  Appeal to drop a course after the deadline must be made to the Committee on Academic Standing.

Students who have received permission to carry a credit overload may not drop any course.

Once students have officially dropped a course they may not attend or audit the course.

Students who are SEEK, athletes, or International and wish to withdraw or fall below full-time status must get the approval of the appropriate office.

The Committees on Academic Standing

Each school has a committee on academic standing. These committees adjudicate students’ appeals in academic matters. Each committee is composed of faculty, students, and administrators. Information and appeal forms can be obtained in the Office for Undergraduate Advisement and Orientation. These are some of the appeals handled by the committee:

  • Request for W in a course or total resignation after the deadline

  • Request for reinstatement if dismissed

  • Curricular adjustments or waivers of academic rules

  • Change of grade that is initiated by the instructor

All requests should be documented with supporting evidence: medical notes, military papers, etc.

The filing of an appeal does not guarantee a favorable decision; the committee weighs all the information presented by the student and arrives at a conclusion based upon the application of College policies and the appropriateness of the request. 

The student is informed in writing of the committee’s decision. Students do not appear before the committee.

Committees on Academic Standing

Veteran's Benefits Information

In accordance with Title 38 US Code 3679 subsection (e), this school adopts the following additional provisions for any students using U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) Post 9/11 G.I. Bill® (Ch. 33) or Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment (Ch. 31) benefits, while payment to the institution is pending from the VA.  This school will not:

·         Prevent nor delay the student’s enrollment;

·         Assess a late penalty fee to the student;

·         Require the student to secure alternative or additional funding;

·         Deny the student access to any resources available to other students who have satisfied their tuition and fee bills to the institution, including but not limited to access to classes, libraries, or other institutional facilities.

However, to qualify for this provision, such students may be required to:

·         Produce the Certificate of Eligibility by the first day of class;

·         Provide written request to be certified;

·         Provide additional information needed to properly certify the enrollment as described in other institutional policies.