Skip to main content

Policies and Procedures


It is a CUNY policy that each student is solely responsible for keeping informed of all various academic policies and requirements. A brief summary of some of the College’s academic policies is offered here.

Universal Immunization Requirement for First-Time Students

Immunization and Medical Information

All students need to submit proof of MMR immunization and proof or waiver for Meningitis immunization before classes start.

You cannot attend classes until your forms are turned in. Anyone born on January 1, 1957 or after must submit proof of immunization with the following conditions: All degree students must submit proof of immunization regardless of number of credits attempted. Non-degree students who wish to register for six or more college credits at Baruch College must submit proof of immunization. For more information, you can visit Baruch Health Services.

All immunization records go to:
Office of Undergraduate Admissions
151 East 25 St., Rm.720
New York, NY 10010

Program Load

A student's total program load in either the fall or spring semester may not exceed 18 equated credits.

A student’s total program may not exceed two courses per summer session or four courses for the summer term.

A student’s total program may not exceed two courses for the winter session.

A student must declare a major by the time they have earned 60 credits in a program.  Students who have not declared a major shall have a hold placed on their record and will not be able to register for courses until a major is declared.

A student with a cumulative index warranting such consideration (minimum GPA of 3.0) may apply for permission to take a maximum of 21 credits in the fall or spring semesters and nine credits in each summer session for a maximum of five courses. Students in the Zicklin School of Business should apply through the Zicklin Undergraduate Services Office. Students in the Weissman School of Arts and Sciences should apply through the Weissman Associate Dean's Office. Students in the Marxe School of Public and International Affairs should apply through the Marxe Associate Dean's Office. Students not officially accepted into one of the three schools should apply at the Undergraduate Advisement and Orientation Office for a credit overload.

Hours and Credits

As a recognized higher education provider in the State of New York, Baruch College is bound by the New York Department of Education's rules and regulations regarding assignment of credit hours. Statements in this Bulletin regarding a certain number of class hours or credits refer to the number of weekly class hours (or their equivalent). Thus a listing that reads "3 hours, 3 credits" means that the course will meet for two 75-minute class hours each week for 14 weeks, exclusive of the final examination, or for some other scheduling pattern that equates to 2,100 minutes (2 meetings x 75 minutes x 14 weeks) during the term. Every weekly hour of lecture or recitation meeting for 14 weeks is equal to one semester hour of credit. The same is true for the following: a) two weekly hours of laboratory work, b) two weekly hours of supervised fieldwork, c) three hours of unsupervised honors work, or d) three hours of unsupervised fieldwork. Exceptions to this general rule may apply to certain programs or courses. 

Choosing Classes

Students register according to the procedures established by the  Office of the Registrar for the announced registration period.

It is the policy of the College’s three schools that students will be allowed to register no more than three times for any single undergraduate course. Any request for an exception to this rule should be directed to the respective school’s Committee of Academic Standing through which the course in question is offered.

 Zicklin School of Business
Weissman School of Arts and Sciences
Marxe School of Public and International Affairs
Joint Committee on Academic Standing (not officially in a school)

 It is imperative that you check your CUNYfirst account before the first day of classes, as often classroom assignments change. The College reserves the right to cancel any course or section due to insufficient enrollment or for any other reason it deems necessary.

 If you do not plan on attending your classes, the classes must be dropped prior to the first day of the term in order to avoid any tuition liability. Review the Academic Calendar for deadlines.

Student Status:


Credits Earned


Credits Earned

Lower Freshman

0 to 14.9

Lower Junior

60 to 74.9

Upper Freshman

15 to 29.9

Upper Junior

75 to 89.9

Lower Sophomore

30 to 44.9

Lower Senior

90 to 104.9

Upper Sophomore

45 to 59.9

Upper Senior


Course Listings

Course numbers indicate the level of the course as described below:

Courses Numbered Level:


Undergraduate Remedial; no credit.


Graduate Courses.


Introductory Courses.


Introductory Courses; they require some past preparation either in high school or college.


Intermediate Courses.


Advanced Courses.


Senior Courses; seminars, training programs, and independent studies.


Honors level only.


Transfer Course(s) equivalents.


Graduate Courses.


Doctoral and Graduate Courses, specifically, courses in research methodology, thesis, or thesis alternative.

Note: Registration requires meeting the enrollment requirements for the course. The numbers 7000–7999 are used on transfer evaluations for recording purposes only. Courses listed on transfer evaluations with numbers of 7000–7999 are not applicable to the major and/or minor unless the evaluation specifically indicates that the course was at the intermediate or advanced level (equivalent to Baruch courses numbered 3000 or above)–these requests must be approved by the respective department.

Independent Study Courses:
Independent Study forms, eligibility information, and proposal deadlines are available from the Dean’s Office of the relevant school as well as the Academic Calendar.

 Honors Thesis Courses:
Honors thesis courses are the opportunity to develop expertise in your field and to work closely with a faculty mentor.  Typically, the thesis is a two-semester project, bearing the course numbers 6001H and 6002H. Students who complete a thesis are eligible for Honors in their discipline. See the library Thesis Guide for the application form, guidelines, and resources for writing a thesis. Permission to undertake an honors thesis must be obtained during the preceding term by submitting a prospectus (proposal). Final proposals go to David Rosenberg, Chair of the Committee on Undergraduate Honors (theses) for feedback and approval.

Honors Classes:
Honors courses are indicated by an 'H' following the course number.

  • Requesting permission: Students with a 3.3 GPA may register for 1000 and 2000-level Honors courses with permission from the Honors Program. Students with a 3.5 GPA and higher may register for 3000-level and above Honors courses without special permission, as long as they meet the listed course pre-requisites. Note that there are special application requirements for some Honors Courses, such as the Feit Interdisciplinary SeminarsHarmon Writer in Residence courses, and Zicklin Honors courses (BUS 4000-level courses).

  • To find a listing of offered Honors courses in CUNYfirst, leave the subject area blank and choose ‘contains’ Course Number “H”.

Special Registration Requirements and Permissions for CUNY Baccalaureate Students:
Students pursuing a CUNY Baccalaureate for Unique and Interdisciplinary Studies must be formally admitted to the program. New CUNY Baccalaureate students will not be eligible for business courses at the 3000-level or above unless they have an approved mentor and have received permission from the mentor as well as the Zicklin School of Business. Continuing Non-Baruch College CUNY Baccalaureate students must use the ePermit system every semester to request course registration.







Mason Hall on the first floor of 17 Lexington Avenue




Hours to be arranged with department


Lawrence and Eris Field Building (17 Lexington Avenue)


Newman Vertical Campus, 55 Lexington Avenue (At East 25th Street)

Newman Hall, 137 East 22nd Street (At East 22nd Street)


Administrative Building, 135 East 22nd St (Between 3rd Avenue and Lexington Avenue)


Information and Technology Building, 151 East 25th Street (Between 3rd Avenue and Lexington Avenue) 


137 East 25th Street

Honors Courses


*Feit Seminars in the Humanities (IDC 4050H) and the Sidney Harman Writer-in-Residence seminars require special permission to enroll.  Enrollment in a few Honors courses is restricted, such as: BUS 1000H, BPL 5100H, and Macaulay New York City seminars (IDC 1001H, 3001H, 3002H, and 4001H).

Macaulay Honors College Courses

Note: we are unable to overtally students into Macaulay Seminars, except for academic reasons.  Speak to your advisor if you are unable to take a required course due to your Macaulay seminar section time. We are unable to over enroll courses based on schedule preferences or work schedules.  Your Honors advisor can assist you in choosing options that work for you.

Request to Contract Honors for a course (by special exception, for liberal arts and public affairs students)

Taking a Course at Another College

The combined program load must not exceed a total of 18 equated credits. There must be no time overlap when courses are taken at another school simultaneously with courses at Baruch. No permit can be issued for required composition (ENG 2100 and 2150 or the equivalent) or for required accountancy or finance courses. Permission must be granted prior to registering at the other institution. No permit will be issued for courses that have been repeated three times at Baruch.

Baruch students who want to attend another CUNY institution on permit:

Students who want to take a course at another CUNY institution must apply using the ePermit system in CUNYfirst. Review the Office of the Registrar’s webpage for application deadlines. You will be informed of the progress of your permit request throughout the approval process via email. If a request is rejected, you will be notified of the reason for the rejection. Tuition for approved CUNY permit courses is paid to your home college. Grades for courses taken on permit at another CUNY institution are posted on your home transcript and are counted in the computation of your GPA.

Please note:

  • Permits are not issued for first semester freshman or transfer students with no Baruch GPA.

  • Permits are issued only to students matriculated for a degree at Baruch College who are not on academic probation.

  • Permit courses are not eligible for the F-Repeat Policy at Baruch College. 

  • It is highly recommended that students do not take courses on permit during their final semester as to not delay their graduation.

Outgoing Non-CUNY Permit:

If a student wants to take a course at a non-CUNY institution, they must apply through the Office of the Registrar.

  • Students must have departmental permission to take course(s) at other institutions.

  • Permits will not be issued for advanced courses in accounting (see Accounting Department Office).

  • Students who plan to Study Abroad must contact the Weissman Center for International Business,137 East 25th Street, Room 822.

  • In order for the approved credits to be transferred from non-CUNY institutions, a minimum grade of ‘C’ must be earned.

  • It is highly recommended that students do not take courses on permit during their final semester as to not delay their graduation.

Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA)

Notification under FERPA of student rights concerning education records and directory information.

The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) affords students certain rights with respect to their education records. See paragraph 6 below on students’ right to prevent the disclosure of directory information.
The FERPA rights of students are as follows:

1. Students have the right to inspect and review their education records. Students should submit to the registrar, dean, head of the academic department, or other appropriate official written requests that identify the record(s) they wish to inspect. If the records are not maintained by the college official to whom the request was submitted, that official shall advise the student of the correct official to whom the request should be addressed. All requests shall be granted or denied in writing within 45 days of receipt. If the request is granted, the student will be notified of the time
and place where the records may be inspected. If the request is denied or not responded to within 45 days, the student may appeal to the college’s FERPA appeals officer. Additional information regarding the appeal procedures will be provided if a request is denied.

2. Students have the right to request an amendment of their education records that they believe are inaccurate or misleading. Students may ask the college to amend a record that they believe is inaccurate or misleading. Students should write to the college official responsible for the record, clearly identify the part of the record they want  changed, and specify why it is inaccurate or misleading. If the college decides not to amend the record as requested by the student, the college will notify the student of the decision and advise the student of his/her right to a hearing before the college’s FERPA appeals officer regarding the request for amendment. Additional information regarding the hearing procedures will be provided when the student is notified of his/her right to a hearing.

3. Students have the right to consent to disclosure of personally identifiable information contained in their education records, except to the extent that FERPA authorizes disclosure without consent. One exception that permits disclosure without consent is disclosure to college officials with legitimate educational interests. A college official is a
person employed by the University in an administrative, supervisory, academic or research, or support staff position; a person or company with whom the University has contracted; a person serving on the Board of Trustees; or a student serving on an official committee, such as a disciplinary or grievance committee, or assisting another college
official in performing his or her tasks. A college official has a legitimate educational interest if access is reasonably necessary in order to perform his/her instructional, research, administrative, or other duties and responsibilities. Upon request, the college discloses education records without consent to officials of another college or school in which a student seeks or intends to enroll.

4. Students may appeal the alleged denial of FERPA rights to:
           General Counsel and Vice Chancellor for Legal Affairs
           The City University of New York
           535 East 80th Street
           New York, NY 10021

5. Students have the right to file a complaint with the U.S. Department of Education concerning alleged failures by the college to comply with the requirements of FERPA. The name and address of the office that administers FERPA are:
          Family Policy Compliance Office
          U.S. Department of Education
          600 Independence Avenue, SW
          Washington, D.C. 20202-4605

6. The college will make the following “directory information” concerning current and former students available to those parties having a legitimate interest in the information: name, attendance dates (periods of enrollment), date and place of birth, photograph, full- or part-time status, enrollment status (undergraduate, graduate, etc.), level of education (credits) completed, major field of study, degree enrolled for, participation in officially recognized activities and sports, height and weight of athletic team members, previous schools attended, and degrees, honors, and awards received. By filing a form with the Registrar’s Office, students may request that any or all of this directory information not be released without their prior written consent. This form is available in the Registrar’s Office and may be filed, withdrawn, or modified at any time.